- 1951 – 1958
- 1958 – 1968
- 1969 – 1980
- 1981 – 1990
- 1991 – 2000
- 2001 – 2010
- 2011 – 2016
(1951 – 1958)
- Late founder Shri K.K. Shah is gifted a second hand Chevrolet truck from his employer, Mr. Padamshibhai for his dedicated services in his firm.
- In 1952, he launches his own Co, Kunverji K. Shah & CO along with 2 of his brothers as a local service provider between Mumbai and Dahisar.
- In 1955, he formed the Retail Transport Owners Association in Mumbai and became its first president
- 1956 – Mr. K.K. Shah's passion for daredevilry and his love for his birth place, made him the first person to drive a heavy Dodge truck laden with consumable merchandise to BHUJ, a journey filled with physical hardships all the way in the absence of concrete roads and infrastructure.
- A born entrepreneur, he bought two brand new TATA trucks all the way from Jamshedpur.
The Period of Struggle
(1958 - 1968)
- Vijay Transport Co (VTC) was formally started by Mr. K.K. Shah along with his 3 brothers – Mr. V.K. Shah, Mr. J.K. Shah and M.H. Gala from a 300 sq.ft. godown in Chinchbunder area of Mumbai. Chinchbunder is a dense wholesale hub, close to the ports
- These were tremendously difficult times owing to absolute lack of proper roads / bridges, fewer petrol pumps and hotels and communication facilities on the Mumbai – Gujarat route. Highway dacoity was common and police support negligible. Traders were hesitant to transport their costly goods in exchange of a Lorry Receipt.
- However, market reputation and goodwill of the promoters were key factors in clinching confidence of customers and business flourished.
- Our first long term contract with M/s. Atul Drug House was result of a chance acquaintance with Mr. Gunvant Shah, Partner by Mr. K.K. Shah during a flight between Mumbai & Kutch. Later, M/s. Godrej & Boyce followed and gradually other industrial & trading houses too showed confidence in our services.
- The concept o door-to-door and Just-In-Time deliveries was pioneered by VTC in the 1960s in the form of :"Amba (Mango) Special". VTC provided the express delivery of this perishable item impeccably between Mumbai & Kutch-Saurashtra.
(1969 – 1980)
- The second generation enters into the family business with Mr. A.K. Shah. After him, Mr. M.K. Shah & H.K. Shah join the business in 1975 and is later joined by, Mr. R.V. Shah, son of Mr. V.K. Shah.
- In 1973 a major labor strike in Mumbai brought the transport industry to a crippling halt. This was followed by a lean period of heavy recession between 1974 -1977.
The great leap forward
(1981 – 1990)
- During this period the company consolidated its position and grew in financial strength. The Co took a forward leap and started investing in own premises at prime locations.
- In 1981 Mr. M.K. Shah, MD, re-located to Ahmedabad from where he launched a massive expansion drive. By the end of the decade, the number of branches in Gujarat swelled up to 24. Our Narol office became a landmark place.
- In 1983 Mr. H.K. Shah, Executive Director, shifted to Gandhidham and from there to Ankleshwar. He too played a massive role in the expansion drive. As many as twenty new branches were opened in the Golden Corridor
- VTC became the undisputed, number one choice for transportation in the chemical, engineering and machine tools segments.
- In 1985-86 the first computers in the organization were set up Mumbai & Ahmedabad branches
The beginning of professionalism
(1991 – 2000)
- In 1994 - 95 Mr. J.D. Chokshi, a Chartered Accountant by profession joined the Co. He was later joined by Mr. S. Kumar, a leading Logistics Consultant. Today both are an integral part of V-Trans Group family
- In 1998 a formidable step of merging all scattered businesses and legal entities was taken by our MD to form one single entity – Vijay Transport Company Ltd.
- The Co's March Towards Excellence begins with the initiation of quality & quantitative analysis, a review system, budgets & targets, focused business policy and defined KRAs.
- In 1996 a formal Managing Committee and a Board of Directors with defined KRAs were formed. The Co moves to a new Corporate Office at Sion.
- In the same year, the Company ventured outside its comfort zone and for the first time ventured in to North-South to & fro Gujarat business expansion through a strategic tie up
- In 2000 the Co took a bold and path breaking decision to change its 44 year old identity of VTC to become V-Trans (India) Ltd. through an elaborate CI makeover.
Period of robust growth
(2001 – 2010)
- This decade saw a whirlwind of geographical expansion of setting up own branches from North to South and East to West
- V-Trans Group was launched in May 2001 amidst huge fanfare with three separate business divisions – V-Trans that specialized in hard freight parcels management, V-Xpress in door to door pickup and delivery of time sensitive parcels by road, rail & air while V-Logis specialized in warehousing & inventory management solutions
- Entry of third generation into family business. Mr. Vishal & Viral, sons of Mr. A.K. Shah, Chairman join the V-Xpress & V-Logis divisions respectively. Mr. Aditya Shah, son of Mr. M.K. Shah, MD too joins the family business (V-Trans division). They infuse fresh ideas and action plans into the business.
- Marine Transit Insurance Policy, perhaps the first of its kind initiative in the industry, was introduced to reinforce customers' faith in our services, promising easy, time-bound settlement of claims
- In 2004, eCargo, our indigenous web based software was introduced in our systems.
- In 2008 the Company acquired its ISO 9001:2000 certificate to reinforce its commitment to customer service. Today it is upgraded to the highest ISO 9001:2015 level
- Formation of Centralized Customer Service Cell with Customer care helpline at Corporate & Regional Offices, a single point contact for customers to get their queries and complaints resolved promptly
- 2009 the Co celebrates its Golden Jubilee Year with elaborate entertainment programs all over India
- Pathshala – The V-Trans Group Training & Development Centre a dream project of our MD is inaugurated. The centre is host to yearlong calendar of trainings to staff across all cadres of employees in the organization, including Induction Programs, et al.
A period of upward trajectory & infrastructure growth
(2011 – 2016)
- Our dream project – The Vapi Super Hub was inaugurated amidst usual fanfare
- Our new Corporate film also launched during this event
- Co wins several excellence awards on national and regional level, notably among them the CEAT National Awards for three years in a row (2010 to 2012), The Jamnalal Bajaj – Council For Fair Business Practices and the Apollo-CV in 2012 & 2015.
- Successfully launches Next Day Parcel Delivery Service between select stations in Maharashtra & Gujarat
- Also launches NexStep - a prestigious, yearlong succession training to groom bright prospects within the existing workforce, ALP & NLP - personality grooming programs for Sr. Executives hiring professional trainers from outside, and BIC Training for Branch Managers.
- In 2016 it launches yet another one of its highly ambitious project – the All India 100% Computer Network integrating all its branches to its indigenous in-house ERP – eCargo, and digitalized customer interface documents
- The Company undergoes another major brand overhaul to re-energize its brand power and to match it with our Core Values, house colours, with invigorating Vision, Mission and Quality statements to build on our inherent strengths.
- In May 2016, the Company shifted its Corporate Headquarters to a posh 10,500 sq.ft., independent premises at Corporate Park, Chembur, Mumbai, a convenient locale with the international airport, the Central & Western expressways in close vicinity. The building consists of ground plus two floors with exclusive car parking area.
- The entire building is fully environment-friendly, green building conforming to the US based LEEDS accreditation, powered by solar energy, centrally air-conditioned and has aesthetically designed interiors.